About Me

My photo
My name is Kyle and I'm a record collector and music nut from San Antonio, TX. I'm always on the lookout for new artists, so feel free to drop me a comment or send me an if you have any suggestions.
Take a look at my myspace page: www.myspace.com/kmanthemusicman
And be my friend on facebook: www.facebook.com/KWFitzpatrick

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Pipettes - "We Are The Pipettes"


This is a pathetic era for music. With the Black Eyed Peas dominating the "Top Songs" on iTunes, a person with good musical taste might feel like all hope is lost. Good musicians are becoming harder and harder to find. Doubly so for females. So where does one turn to in these days of musical bareness? Don't worry, baby. The Kman has got you covered.

The album I'm reviewing today was originally released in 2006, and then remixed and released again with two new tracks in 2007. It's called "We Are the Pipettes" by The Pipettes, an indie-pop group from England composed of three beautiful young leading ladies, and an all male back up band.

The title track starts the album in a big way. It's a masterpiece of retro inspired lyrics and music. And the 2nd track is even better. The highlight of the CD, "Pull Shapes" was the group's biggest hit, reaching #26 on the UK singles chart. It sounds like the girls from the B-52s meets Martha Reeves meets a 50's doo-wop group.

Other tracks of praise include "It Hurts to See You Dance So Well" and "Because it's Not Love (But it's Still A Feeling)." Overall the album is a great alternative to all the other plastic-pop crap that is released these days. 4/5 stars.

Unfortunately, the band's line up from this album has changed quite a bit. Whether or not the new girls can live up to the performances on this CD has yet to be seen, but I feel we can expect good things from this group in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment